About Me

My photo
I'm living Guatemala for 2 years to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer. This blog is to stay in touch with family and friends about my adventures. It does not reflect the beliefs of the United States government, Peace Corps, nor the people or government of Guatemala.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Another Day

So today things are going much better. It is amazing how my little cell phone, a good night´s sleep and some delish refried beans can really make me feel better. I spent the morning catching up with some friends and I just feel a lot better about the whole situation. Also the massive amounts of emails and messages of support I have recieved are so wonderful. It´s so nice to hear from loved ones at home and remember that even though I feel alone sometimes, I´m really not alone.

I know that within a matter of weeks things will be better and maybe I´ll even be laughing about how the past week went. Last night I also had a great conversation with my host family and they helped me realize how wonderful Guatemalans can be. I explained to them the three goals of Peace Corps and how important I found the 2nd and 3rd goals to be: ie the exchange of cultural ideals and practices not only with Guatemalans but with my friends and family back home. They thought that was so exciting and interesting. They are so open to new experiences and really are a great support for me here. Today they invited me to a wedding but I really just need some more time to decompress from all that has been going on but next weekend is the Fiesta... they have already advised me about it, so that I can´t make any other plans. It should be fun. It is for someone in the neighborhood so I´m sure it will be a good way to get my face out there, so that next time maybe my Guatemalan neighbor can come to my rescue... or at least cause a little diversion.

As far as animal adventures in my home, today we recieved two new birds. ¨Doves from the Peten¨ Let´s just say Maria is pretty jealous. She also gets jealous of me. Last night she bit my toes... it really hurt. and it´s still hurting. But anyway, between the new doves and all the kittens Maria is very angry. She walks around the house squaking and puffing up her feathers and biting people´s toes. She´s crazy.

Anywho, life is going slowly but surely still and I feel like things can only go up from here. I´m getting ready to head home and eat a delish bowl of cereal and yogurt cause the host fam is out! Then I´ll probably watch a movie... or two and snuggle with Sadie. Thanks again for all the love, it really makes me feel a lot better.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you felt the love, for its there!!Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you felt all that love oozing across the ocean -- funny how that works! :) Post pictures of your Sadie and have a great week. Look forward to hearing about the fiesta. xoxo Hedder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missing you! I hope things continue to get better.

    ReplyDelete