About Me

My photo
I'm living Guatemala for 2 years to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer. This blog is to stay in touch with family and friends about my adventures. It does not reflect the beliefs of the United States government, Peace Corps, nor the people or government of Guatemala.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Livin´ The Dream

So I fell off the face of the earth and landed in Tecpan. Things have been so busy but then not at the same time. Betty and I arrived extremely sweaty and sunburnt on Saturday March 27 and we really learned the "best" way to travel on a camioneta.



We spent are first night saying goodbye to the volunteer we are replacing. It was sad because over the short time we have known her we have become friends and we know we have some big shoes to fill. Then we headed over to my host family's house. Don Pedro y Dona Mercedes are probably the cutest people I have ever met. They are an older couple complete with pet bird maria who walks around the house eating tortillas just like the rest of us. So also enjoys an occasional toe so beware! As well as manchas the pregnant cat who just gave birth on Sunday to 4 little cuties... two of which have been claimed by Betty and myself... we're working on names. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

The first week of residence was full of festivities for Semana Santa... The huge Catholic holiday leading up to Easter. Lots of special guests and commotion because DP and DM make alfombras in front of their house. I don't really know how to explain alfombras except that they are really beautiful sand/sawdust things that you put in the street for the Processions of Jesus to walk through. Ours featured a Peacock and it was a really fun all day Good Friday event. Saturday we had a bbq lunch at Betty's host fam's land. We passed the afternoon chatting with them and we met SueEllen's parents. She is the other volunteer of Healthy Schools that lives in Tecpan and will be leaving in 2 weeks. We are sad to see her go but are taking advantage of spending time with her. We went for a hot second to the ruins of Iximiche where we had our Mayan Ceremony back in Feb. Little did Betty and I know we would be living in Tecpan... We came here 2 during training and I never thought I would be living here. Pleasant surprise. Sunday was delicious breakfast day in El Pedregal. This super delish restaurant close by. Linda and Abra met up with us and it was nice to see some familiar faces and learn how everyone was doing. We took our time enjoying breakfast and were thoroughly annoyed when Guatemalans literally sat at the end of our table to get us to leave. And people say Americans are rude. It is so hard sometimes to just bite your tounge and not say anything where as in the states you'd be all over telling those people to give you some space because you are paying customers. Asi es la vida.

Then Monday began offical work. Betty and I showed up at 8am to the Ministry of Education office with little to no expectations. We met with our CTA aka superintendent to actually meet him and plan out what is going to happen with this little job of ours. And he was surprisingly super supportive after some prodding and agreed to take us to all of the schools we will be working with. Then Tuesday we ventured out to 5 of them. Got our faces known, took some names and are ready to do it all again on Thursday. So work wise things are going well thus far.
I think I need to share why DP and DM are so wonderful. After dinner Monday night, we got to chatting and we started talking about home and I mentioned that I had a picture. So I went and got my photo album and we preceeded to look at all the photos for about an hour. They were asking me about who everyone was and trying to remember their names. They also think we have a beautiful house. Silly me wrote in the photo album "our little house" and they were like "WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?!?!" By American standards we do have a small house and I think the camera adds ten pounds so our house appears bigger than it really is. Also DP and DM have a decent sized house as well but it did really make me think appreciate what you have. Which I do, I love our house so much and miss the homy comfy feeling I get there. I'm hoping I will be able to bring some of that to my Guatemalan apartment. Anywho, back to remembering names. They kept asking me to repeat names. Mom they remember. Mama Linda, Dad you aren't so lucky. They couldn't remember you so they said Papa Lindo! I was peeing my pants laughing. Also Aunt Susan they got you as Tia Susan, Uncle Steve you are now Tio Susan. Isn't that the most precious thing you have ever heard? Clayton they got a little better than Tyler. Also Abuela Yoyce. It was just so sweet. I really adore them and I am so happy to be living with them. Lots of Spanish convos to be had and funny jokes. It's a pretty good time up in here.
As for the rest of the week, we'll see how it goes. Everything is an adjustment. Lots of Love. Miss you all.

3 comments:

  1. Hola
    Things sound great! You sound great! but that photo!!! you look like you did on the day we didn't have a hotel in Seville!!! BAD day?
    I will start thinking of gatito (kitten?)names for you. altho your tio susano is better at the naming.....
    love you Tia Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what fun...love the struggling pictures- only for the young with too much stuff!! I can't wait to meet them!!
    love you!! You are doing great!
    Mama Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ms lauren ive been thinking about you alot. Sounds so exciting and fun. Im so proud of you! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete