About Me

My photo
I'm living Guatemala for 2 years to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer. This blog is to stay in touch with family and friends about my adventures. It does not reflect the beliefs of the United States government, Peace Corps, nor the people or government of Guatemala.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Finally Here!

ok everyone! I am finally here and safe. Traveling was a long crazy day that began at 3 am but it was well worth it. Guatemala is so beautiful and the weather is really nice. I have been staying with a host family here and tomorrow I will move to my smaller training village. My thoughts are a bit disorganized at the moment and I do not even really know where to start. I guess with wednesday traveling it was a long day. We got here by 3 pm and then settled in to our new host families after a brief intro at the Peace Corps office. My first cena was spagetti with garlic bread. Then it was basically time for immediate sleep as the days leading up to traveling had been filled with very little! Then I woke up thursday morning and took my first bucket bath and it was fine. The water was hot and over our shower door you can see the mountains that surround our village. It is pretty beautiful here to say the least. Then we went to Cuerpo de Paz as our host family calls it and it is pretty much like school. We took spanish tests, got some shots, got to know each other a little and then had some general orientations. It is really neat because the weather here is so nice and everyday we are pretty busy. My host family is very friendly and it will be sad to leave them tomorrow. Today we had our first day of Spanish classes, some more shots, and are just getting ready to move into our training communities where we will take spanish classes for 6 hours a day! and learn about our jobs over the next 11 weeks. It is already harder than I thought it would be here but all is well. It is just a whirlwind of emotions and I am hoping that things will get better with everyday. I really miss everyone terribly and so far things are going well, except that it gets dark here pretty early but I mean that is ok. Lots of love from Guatemala... miss you so much!

4 comments:

  1. oh good lord i need details on this bucket bath!sounds like you at least have a pretty view while you are "bathing". and what is with all the shots? any more and you will be leaking! how's your bed? glad you got a nice italian meal! how much stuff did you leave in the hotel in DC? it is a snowy mess here in ohio! i am looking forward to hearing more good weather stories!love you! antsusan

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bucket bath with a view-a great name for a book!! We didn't have a view laur!!! Rock on laur!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous of the warm weather. it's flippin freezing here. love you laaaaaaur

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you so incredibly much, Lowren! I am so sorry we weren't able to connect before you left, but I know things were crazy and you were already saying goodbye to a ton of people. I am going to do my best to find a teaching job or something there within the next year or two. LIKE FOR REAL. How fun would that be!?!?! I love you so much and know you are going to do incredible things. You will be in my prayers, I can't wait to follow your blog and hear about all your adventures! Have fun, querida...the U.S. just isn't the same without you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete