About Me

My photo
I'm living Guatemala for 2 years to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer. This blog is to stay in touch with family and friends about my adventures. It does not reflect the beliefs of the United States government, Peace Corps, nor the people or government of Guatemala.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

One Week Down

OK, so hi everyone from an internet cafe in Antigua! Wow has life been crazy. I have moved in with a new family and they are wonderful. I live in a small town near antigua and today we had spanish class here! It is just as neat as it sounds, cobblestone streets with volcanoes in the background. It´s crazy. Anywho, my days have been filled with classes and learning lots of new things. My family is wonderful. There are 10 people including myself. It is a bit crazy. They are so sweet and excited to have me, they have never had a PCT before so it is a new experience for both of us. I´m still rocking the bucket bath, the sarong is a lifesaver mom! I also bought a cellphone today. So i´m hoping to make some phone calls soon! It is really cheap to call from here, about 2 quetzales and 8 quetzales is a dollar. So things are nice and cheap.

Everyday I get up and I can´t really believe that this is my life now, I´ve been eating lots of beans and tortillas and this saturday, I´m going to learn how to make the tortillas. I´m excited. It is really fun here. I´m finding that my spanish is really improving and I can actually have conversations with my family and they are becoming my friends. Last night they made funny of me because I love the beans. And today we laughed at these other gringos that came to lunch at their house. It is kind of hard to explain but bascially people pay to go on tours through Guatemala and their tourist organizations pay for school supplies in the small pueblos in return the families have to host the tourists. It is weird. I feel like these tourists want to feel like they are having a real experience or are doing something to help people. It is a load of bs, excuse my french. But anyway when they left, my family and I made fun of them because this was the last time they had to host people. It is funny but kinda demented and annoying how people think they are being ¨worldly¨ but they are actually being really rude.

Anywho, in other news life is really good. I really miss everyone and I love hearing comments. Aunt susan, life here is awesome, you would love to take pictures, I think a visit is necessary. Mom and dad I think of you guys everyday... and it makes me admire you so much more for what great people you are. You have given so much in your lives... I hope to make you proud. Tyler, i guess you should be jealous of the weather, it´s nice. But it has been pretty cold and I spend most of my nights in long johns, sweats, hat, coat, vest, long sleeve shirt. The bed is ok in comfort but you know, i´m pretty young so no pains yet. Also, no sickness yet, although I am waiting. I know my time is coming. Teryn!! it was so good to hear from you! Please come to Guatemala! You will love it here and you will learn so much! and I would love to see you. Thanks for your thoughts, i miss you and hope all is well. Casey, if you are reading i´m thinking of you often, i miss you and I am looking forward to hearing even more about your adventures. PS we had the same staging coordinator, small world huh? Claire, miss you lots can´t wait to catch up and share adventures... CC and others, i miss you all and I promise more personal shout outs to come! Ah, mrs. Rupert thanks for the love! I´m thinking of you all, always. This is such a special experience and I´m so thankful to have your support as a part of it! Sara! te quiero!

I´m trying to think of any last life details. ummm, lots of beans and tortillas and sugar filled nescafe here! Also more info about my life as it comes. Poco a Poco as they say here! All is well.... con mucho amor

4 comments:

  1. You sound great!What a change from numero uno....We are very happpy. Sorry I missed you online today...con mucho amor tambien...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! so good to read this! i knew things would fall in to place quickly for you. Enjoy those beans and rice. have a plate for me! but you can save the nescafe for someone else (maybe tyler will drink it). still snowy here! we love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are enjoying your first week. Im excited to hear all your stories. I love you lots girl and think about you daily. Take care and be safe :) you are an amazing person with such a big heart I am so proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading this at Heather's - so glad you are settling in so well. We love you!!

    ReplyDelete