About Me

My photo
I'm living Guatemala for 2 years to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer. This blog is to stay in touch with family and friends about my adventures. It does not reflect the beliefs of the United States government, Peace Corps, nor the people or government of Guatemala.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Miercoles

Alright it is offically that I have gotten my first illness here but it wasn´t too bad. It´s basically my stomach adjusting to beans twice a day and lots of other foods that I don´t normally eat but it was fine. Monday we got to go visit current PC volunteers that are in the Healthy Schools programs who we will be replacing, ie their close of service is when we swear in! It was exciting to see a real life volunteer and how their life is here. It is very nerve wracking though because we have so little time to learn everything about our new job and take spanish classes and get ready to live on our own. Today I was thinking about it and I´m really excited but also pretty terrified of living on my own completely but it was exciting to see a Volunteers house that wasn´t at all like I pictured. She had painted the walls and decorated and made it seem so homey and bright! It was exciting. We also experienced our first earthquake on Monday while visiting one of the schools. It was pretty exciting but I wasn´t really scared even though we don´t have those in our parts.

And speaking of our parts, I hope I´m doing a good job of representing the east coast... There are so many west coast peeps, I´m just a small town girl but I´m doing good!
Yesterday we had lots of clinics and offical Peace Corps business. Long day but it is nice to see everyone from our group. Every week we get more information and lots of clinics about health and our jobs and such. Then today re started spanish classes. Which is fun. I hope I´m getting better right now I feel like I´m in a bit of a funk this week but I´m sure my skills will get better.

I really love hearing from you guys and it helps to make the transition easier. Life is good, it´s just long days and lots of alone time. It´s all exciting and more news to come in the future! love love love and hasta pronto.

3 comments:

  1. Earthquakes make us East Coasters a little nerviosa!!
    Yikes!! In light of Haiti. Keep hanging in there! XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren - Make us look good sweetie ... those West Coasters don't hold a candle to you. :) Love reading your blog and love you even more. Stay safe and glad you're starting to adjust and adapt to your new life. much love. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. L-Boo! you know u are all that ...and more. Yes you are a small town girl with a giant brain and a giant heart. you have so much to offer the PCV's and the peeps of Guatam. keep up the good work that I know you are doing! The quake must have been weird! I hope not too scary! it will be fun to set up your own place. will we see photos on the blog soon?
    We LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete