About Me

My photo
I'm living Guatemala for 2 years to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer. This blog is to stay in touch with family and friends about my adventures. It does not reflect the beliefs of the United States government, Peace Corps, nor the people or government of Guatemala.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Jinx

Well just now walking to the internet cafe, i was saying I feel like my stomach is finally back to normal but now i´m sitting here with a very ¨bean belly¨ as barb rupert has named it. Not so great but ok. Anywho, it has been a very busy past few days. It is really really hot. Like I wish I had brought completely different clothes but we´ll see. Yesterday we learned more about our future job, and it was exciting but I still have lots of questions and am anxious about my future. But everthing is poco a poco. Yesterday we went to Antigua for the afternoon. It was really fun. We explored the mercado, where they have all of the fresh fruits and veggies and then each one of my town mates bought a piece of fruit and today we made a fruit salad. It was yummy. Pineapple, watermelon, bannanas, apples and papayas. With honey, which by the by, my group calls me a honey snob because ¨My parents are beekeepers and we raise our own honey.¨And although I´m not crazy about honey, I certainly prefer my home grown VA honey...
Anywho back to yesterday. After the maket we walked around the streets of Antigua, which are very cool, all cobblestones and such. We went to the main Catholic Church there. It is yellow and very pretty. Then we stopped at a cafe for a small snack. Then we went to the Jade museum. It is really cool, you can see how the process the jade and make it into jewlery and sculptures. Then there is history about the Mayas. And that´s when I was just like, wow. This is so crazy. All of history here and I can´t wait to see ruins and just learn more about all of the culture here.
I also bought a bag yesterday. It is cool. My thought process was that on a camioneta a backpack really isn´t optimal unless completely necessary. So I purchased an over the shoulder bag that´s really pretty and big enough to hold things on the camioneta that I might need. Also, I feel the need to say that the vendor wanted to sell it to me for 90 Q (like $10 US) but I was able to negociate down to 70Q. Suh-weet. Also in stomach news, ¨bean belly¨ has just passed.
I´m glad to be able to update my blog relatively frequently and hope that this will be the case in the future. I´m looking into possible buying an internet card that would go into my computer and I would pay as I go, just like with the cell phone here. So we´ll see. Maybe I´ll get some pictures up here soon. It´s just that I end up randomly popping into an internet cafe, un prepared. But I´ll be sure to post some pictures ASAP. Until then I´ll just leave it that it´s really pretty and really hot. (right now) There are mountains all over, and volcanoes and brightly colored buses and lots of short people.
Love and miss you guys so much and your support means everything. I love hearing from you all. xxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooo

2 comments:

  1. Oh Laur, I'm just so surprised you bought a bag.....you bagaholic you.....
    It is great reading your blog, makes me Happy! Get rid of bean belly....You need Beano! or the pink stuff... because I doubt you can eat less beans....
    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    It is great to hear from you so often. i am crossing my fingers that you will be able to stay in close touch. Everything sounds so cool except for the bean belly. And the bag...i'm sure you couldn't do with out it...! since you didn't bring the backpacking chair - Steve is in DC this weekend and will be stopping in on your parents on Tuesday! I'll tell him to say hi...?
    LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete