About Me

My photo
I'm living Guatemala for 2 years to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer. This blog is to stay in touch with family and friends about my adventures. It does not reflect the beliefs of the United States government, Peace Corps, nor the people or government of Guatemala.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Hola otra vez

Well, I´m in antigua again for the afternoon and i have lots of exciting news to share. First is that I think my sickness might be approaching. But I´m ok with that, I´ve learned to accept that it will happen and probably sooner rather than later. Anywho, I realized that in my last post I forgot to explain the most crazy thing that has happened so far and that is riding on a camioneta or ¨chicken bus¨. Ok so where do begin. These methods of transport are very common in this area of Guatemala and there is really not an easy way to describe them except as pure chaos in bus form. Picture a US school bus that has been revamped with crazy colors, and stickers (usually of naked ladies) that gets packed with people to travel from one city to the next. Guatemalans can comfortably fit about 3 to a seat but seeing as I am pretty much on the taller side here, you can see how it is diffcult to ride comfortably on a camioneta. Although they are pretty cheap, and effective. They can be a bit scary as there are no passenger limits and you usually spend most of the ride becoming closer to people than you would have ever imagined. But no worries, it is usually a laugh afterwards and only a ride of about 20 mins.
The next exciting thing is last night I went with my family to a mall and it is similar to our malls. Lots of stores and a food court with TACO BELL, McDonalds, pollo campero... Yeah so I had a crunch wrap supreme last night for dinner. Haha, how funny that taco bell is here!
Finally this morning had the most fun activities, we learned how to make tortillas! It was so cool and one fun fact is that here there is a verb just for making tortillas. Tortillarse! hahah, it is a bit difficult to make them but basically you get the dough that is water and corn and then you take a small ball in your hand and pat it out into a circle then you cook it over the fire stove! I was actually pretty good at it not to toot my own horn but beep beep! Also we made guacamole and I learned how to open an avacado without a knife... I´m pretty impressed with myself. We also made a tomato sauce and then we ate our delish treats. It was pretty exciting. Tomorrow I´m going to have more tortilla practice and my mama is going to teach me how to make lots of foods in the upcoming months. I´m pretty excited. I guess when the prospect of really living alone is so close, I´m finally getting interested in learning how to cook.

In other news, all is well. (execpt for the possible future sickness!) I love hearing from all of you and I´m very excited to share these new experiences with you! I know soon i´ll be a tortilla pro and I´ll always be able to make my own delish treats! I guess that´s all for now, time to catch another camioneta home! love you all

3 comments:

  1. Tortillarse!!Cool. You sound so good!1You can't be sick......
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW a chicken bus...were there any actual chickens on the bus? or just lots of peeps?
    you sound great! i can't wait to try your cookin'. the snow melted this weekend but it is still COLD. how is the weather there? did you bring the right gear? Love you so much! antsusan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for cooking. Laur your gonna have to teach me when you come home! Look for to more chicken bus stories :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete