About Me

My photo
I'm living Guatemala for 2 years to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer. This blog is to stay in touch with family and friends about my adventures. It does not reflect the beliefs of the United States government, Peace Corps, nor the people or government of Guatemala.

Monday, February 15, 2010

FBT

Well, we are in the begininng of our field base trainning week and so far things are good. We are seeing the lives of real volunteers while getting to know each other better and finding out who we want to be our job partner for the next two years! It´s big stuff. Yesterday was a lot of driving and getting to see some of the guatemalan country side. It was cool. We stopped for lunch and 5 of us ate at a comedor, which can sometimes be sketchy. For 4 out of 5 of us... it was sketchy. My fellow lunchmates spent the majority of last night in the bathroom. Somehow I have evaded sickness for now and I can just say I´m pretty lucky. Some have equated my luck to the Cuban background.... hahah, who knows.
In other news my family was sad to have me leave yesterday and they told me they were going to call me this week to see how I was doing. Aren´t they the cutest? I´m just so happy with them and lucky to have them to take care of me. They gave me gifts for valentine´s day and are super excited for my return so we can have a bread making lesson. It´s pretty sweet.
I feel like I should have more things to say but life is pretty great. I think at the end of the week I will post more about all the wonderful things I have learned and how excited I am about my new job. Right now the exciting things are free time and real showers! love love love for now.

3 comments:

  1. not having much to write must mean you are sooo comfortable it feels like home. i think thats great! and btw even the shortest post is huge for us to read... thanks and good luk with the next comedor!!! love love love-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree with Suey!! Watch out for the comedors...It makes me happy to know your Guat family is being so protective!!It is still cold and snowy here. It will never melt at this rate!!LOVE You

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lauren, We met at your Aunt Shirl's a few years back - I was the PC programmer for your Mom and Dad and your Aunt Shirl (and Jane Beyers and others) in Malaysia, way back in the dark ages. Reading your blog sent me to the bookshelf to look at photos of your folks back in their PCT days. We'll have to meet again someday so I can share them with you! I'm thrilled that you've become a "second generation PCV". And I know how beautiful Guatemala is. My sister was a PCV in Marajuma (down near the Honduras border) from 2000-'02. Mom and I visited her for a couple of winter months and had a wonderful time. I plan to check in from time to time and see how you are doing. Buena suerte! Helen

    ReplyDelete