About Me

My photo
I'm living Guatemala for 2 years to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer. This blog is to stay in touch with family and friends about my adventures. It does not reflect the beliefs of the United States government, Peace Corps, nor the people or government of Guatemala.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Trabajo

So we have had a busy week as we have started working in the schools. Let me just say that school here is crazy. Only for half a day and with little structure. Class can be stressful. We are practicing techniques that we will be using once we get our sites in march, which means observing the schools to see if they practice healthy habits. For example, is there water, is there clean water, do kids wash their hands, brush their teeth, what are the bathrooms like? It is interesting because our school is pretty healthy but they are not certified as a healthy school. What that means is that Peace Corps has combined with the Minestry of Education here to create a set of standards that makes a school healthy, which betters the lives of children and their communities in more rural areas.
Next week we will be teaching a health lesson to our students. I´m in a first grade class. We also will be working on creating a place in our classroom where all hygiene things can be located ¨rincon de salud¨or health corner if you will. So we have our work cut out for us during training. It isn´t all fun and games... Another fun tidbit about my class is that my teacher is one who loves the americanos that come, so she spends a lot of time choosing which kids are the lucky ones that get to perform for the gringos who spend thirty minutes in my small town for cross cultural experience. Anyway, it is all a learning experience and I´m glad to have the chance to learn more about education and how important it is. We really are lucky in the US to have such a great system. EDUCATION REALLY IS THE FUTURE.
In other news life is going well. Monday we have a mid session spanish interview. I´m a bit nervous as I don´t feel I have improved much but I´m sure it will be ok. Also tomorrow we are going to some Mayan ruins for an authentic Mayan Ceremony! I´m excited. Life is good. In one week we will be going on our heaving training trip, which is where we will learn a lot about our program. It is exciting. I suppose that´s all for now. Pictures soon! love love love

3 comments:

  1. Education is the answer, your Dad has been trying to pound that into you and Tyler forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. .....and they are so lucky to have you there teaching!! all the little 1st graders are going to want to be just like the beautiful and smart senorita lauren. (what DO they call you) good luck with the health corner and don't forget to wash your hands and brush your teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren!!!
    Your experience so far sounds amazing! It is so interesting to hear you experience at schools in Guatemala. It reminds me when we were teaching in DR where it was half a day and absolutely noo structure. The kids didn't know the alphabet in Spanish and they wanted us to teach them their ABC's in English! Ay Dios mio! jaja Any fun performances yet?!
    Buena suerte en tu examen de espanol, you'll do great...trust in yourself :) I'm super excited to keep reading up on your experience, it is very inspiring. Cuidate mucho!
    Jessica T.

    ReplyDelete